Stolley Park
Veterinary Hospital

3020 W. Stolley Park Road  Grand Island, Nebraska  68801  
Phone:  308-384-6272   Fax:  308-384-0984

September Newsletter

Rat Poison

Many pets will eat anything. Plants, poop, Barbie dolls, socks…anything. This can be a problem for many reasons, but in our area, one of the most common toxins we encounter is rodenticide (rat poison). If you are concerned that your pet may have gotten into rat poison, here’s what you need to know.

#1 The most common rodenticides prevent blood from clotting. This leads to excessive bleeding.
Possible signs of rat poison toxicity include: bruising/red spots on gums, inside of ears, skin of abdomen, coughing up blood, bleeding from the nose, weakness, pale/cool gums.

#2 Classic rat poisons do not cause clinical signs right away. It can actually take a few days to take effect, depending on how much has been eaten. We still recommend seeking medical attention as soon as you can, but there is no need to panic. If you are already seeing signs, however, treatment is necessary immediately.

#3 Treatment for classic rat poison toxicity is Vitamin K. This is administered as an injection initially, then as a tablet every day for 3 weeks. Some types of rat poison can circulate in the body for that amount of time, so it is important to give the entire course of medication.

#4 There are other types of rat bait in addition to the classic anti-coagulant rat poison. These are more dangerous and more difficult to reverse. Some can create a gas that can be toxic to humans (i.e. in vomit). If possible, when you call your veterinarian or bring in your pet for suspected ingestion, know the active ingredient or the name of the product.

Keep your pets safe! Call if you have any questions or concerns, we will be happy to help.